Thursday, October 28, 2010

S-E, S-E-O!

I met today with Ryan from Infogenix. Great guy. SEO (search engine optimization) has quickly become a very technical field--driven to new extremes by the likes of Google. I liken it to the auto industry. Men used to be able to fix their cars with a hair pin (or bubble gum), a pair of pliers and a ball ping hammer. Now, you have to be a computer genius to hack into your car's mainframe. SEO has also become very complex. Google (Bing and others) crawl through your site to see just how great it is, they look at all of the other sites to see how great your site links are too. Then they check to see if you've manipulated the system in any way. If you have, say goodbye to your site rank. You'll be lucky to ever show your face in cyberspace again--unless you know Al Gore--the inventor of the internet.

Maybe my expectations are too high (they typically are), but I expect the service providers I pay for to not only execute as promised, but to give me insights into my own business that may have otherwise been missed. Maybe this comes from my 10 years in client services--always answering to a client and always looking for new ways to 'WOW' them. But, this is the kind of service I expect.

There are no magic keys to turn--just a lot of hard work and leveraging of resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment