Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ohhhh! The numbers!!

It's always about the numbers--the click throughs, the site visits, the bounces, the customer contacts, the email addresses and, ultimately, the bottom line. In this case, it's all about RMR. Much like the cell phone industry, we live and die by the recurring monthly revenues--the cost of monitoring. I spent a few hours today looking at the numbers--the analytics and the customer data. Maybe I should have eaten a lighter lunch, but by the end of the day, I'm dragging a bit. Aaron, the genius programmer (the real Napster) walked me through the highlights and limitations of our customer database. I could never be a programmer--or an accountant. I think the story is fascinating, but that's the 5000 ft view. At ground level, it's like reading a book letter by letter. That's not for me. I did learn that snailmail is our only hope for now--with the limited number of email addresses we have for our customers. That's another beauty of online sales. You ALWAYS get the email address.

I'm pretty excited about SafeLife. The more I learn, the more appealing it is to me as a DIY home user. I haven't really discussed product yet, so maybe now is a good time. One of the coolest features of the 2Gig products offered on safelifealarm is the remote monitoring from your smartphone. You can log into alarm.com from your phone and see the camera feeds at any time. You can also rewind the video to see what happened prior to you receiving a text message stating that one of your sensors was tripped. Check out the demo video here: http://www.safelifealarm.com/securitycameras.html.. 2Gig also integrates with z-wave technology, so you can control your thermostat from your smartphone, turn electrical outlets on and off remotely and even lock and unlock the front door from your smartphone. It works on Blackberry, iPhone and Android. Another appealing feature is that it's all wireless, so you can install it easily and take it with you when you move. I'll be working on some easy installation videos over the next month or two and will post them when they're available. Now all we have to see is the NUMBERS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment